Session "Second Life: Modern Housing and the Aesthetics of Growth and Change" at the 14th Docomomo International Conference, Lisbon
"Sites and Services in Performance: Housing in Addis Ababa Beyond Crisis and Heroism", paper presented at the 17th IPHS Conference
Housing for All
The participants in the "No Cost Housing Conference" (including myself) contributed to the production of a joint "Oerlikon Declaration" on housing for all.
This document was prepared in advance of the Habitat III conference in Quito, 2016.
The Oerlikon Declaration can be downloaded here.
"Banks, Sweat and Shelter in Addis Ababa", paper presented at the No Cost Housing Conference, ETH Zurich
From 2 until 4 June 2016, the Fourth International Meeting of the European Architectural History Network (EAHN) will be held in Dublin.
Myself and Tom Avermaete we will chair the session "Housing and the Grassroots: Rethinking Production and Agency in the Architecture of Dwelling".
The papers that will be delivered at our session are:
– Arne Korsmo and “Hjemmets Mekano”, by Espen Johnsen, University of Oslo.
– Knowledge Formation by Architects and Workers in Assisted Self-help: Recalling the Fractured History of Portuguese Experiments from the Dictatorships to Political Democracy, 1950-1980, by Tiago Castela, University of Coimbra and José António Bandeirinha, University of Coimbra.
– Berlin’s Building Groups—A Bottom-Up Initiative in a highly Professionalized Environment by Florian Urban, Glasgow School of Art.
– Architecture in Utopia? Agencies of design in Zurich’s alternative housing by Irina Davidovici, ETH Zurich
– The Battle for the City: 1970s architects between 'luttes urbanines' and 'renovation urbaine' by Isabelle Doucet, University of Manchester
Click here to download the proceedings of the conference.
On 29 January 2016, Ellen Rouwendal & Laura Katharina Straehle presented the outcome of their Master Graduation Project, developed in the Explore Lab of the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment at the TU Delft. The graduation project with the title "From Landscape to Roofscape. A pilot pavilion design for multifunctional public use in East-Africa" was tutored by myself, Thijs Asselbergs and Marcel Bilow.
Laura and Ellen graduated with 10/10 and with an honourable mention.
They are now searching for volunteers to join them and build the pavilions in Okana, Kenya.
More info available here: http://www.pavilions-for-okana.org/